How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

am nigerian and my wify to be is old willl she

Resolved Question:

am nigerian and my wify to be is old willl she be before she gets approval from the registry office to let her get married because right now she is 19 thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



It's not good news I'm afraid.


In order for you to apply for a fiance/spouse visa so that you can come here and settle on the basis of your marriage both you and she must be 21 years of age.


Here is the other criteria for eligibility for a fiance visa:-

  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will also have to pass and English language test showing you have an understanding of listening and spoken English.

Sorry it could not be better news. I'm certain you feel this restriction is unfair but it's a policy decision taken with a view to preventing forced marriages.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how about if the gurl is long will it take for me to get the italian citizenship after marriage and living in italy with her and also how old will she be for her to get married?thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I cannot comment on Italian citizenship because that is governed by Italian law. You will have to speak to an italian immigration adviser about that. There are no such italian advisers on this question board though I'm afraid.


If you are married to a citizen of an EEA member state (eg. Italy) then you can marry and apply for a family permit if you both travel here to work provided you are over 18 years of age. This applies only where your wife is Italian (or other EEA nationality), it does not apply where that person is Itailen AND english. Althought they will take it in to account.

I trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you