How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian citizen and have set up a Chinese restaurant

Resolved Question:

I am a Canadian citizen and have set up a Chinese restaurant in uk. I do not have any residency rights here . I am required to fly back and forth from canada to organise business affairs here and am wondering if it would be possible for me to obtain some kind of entitlement to remain in uk for an indefinate period of time. As a Canadian Citizen I am usually granted a 6 month visa to enter the UK. However I am not entitled to work.I have been informed that I can make application to obtain a business visa on condition I can show the requisiterr authority that I have funds of 200,000 pounds.This I have.I would like to know whether a visa such as this would require me to have to stay in uk for a certain period of time whether or not I can come in and out as I please.Further, if I have to remain in the uk if I have accumulated sufficient time would I be entitled to make application for a uk passport? Finally, which is the uk Act dealing with business visa's? Can an application for same be made in england or must it be from my country of origin?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



You are referring to a Tier 1 Entrepenuer Visa.


You must have access to £200,000.00 for investment in to a UK business which is held in an account with a regulated financial institution (who must confirm such funds) and these must be disposable in the United Kingdom.


You will not need to pass the ENglish Language test because you are from an English speaking country.


You will though have to meet the requirement for maintenance funds available to maintain yourself - £2800 if it is just you (no dependents) for a period of 3 months immediately preceding the date of your application.


All the information you need to make this application is contained on the following page:-


You must make the application to the nearest UK embassy to you. It would be best to instruct a UK immigration solicitor to prepare the application for you. it would cost in the region of £800-1000+vat for this.


The visa will be granted for a period of 3 years. You are free to travel in and out of the UK during this time. You can extend it but you must apply before the expiry of the original visa.

Once you have completed 5 years in this category you may apply for indefinite leave to remain so that you can enter and leave the UK without the need to apply for any further visas.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions;

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you