How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a student in the UK and would like to bring my spouse

Resolved Question:

I am a student in the UK and would like to bring my spouse
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Where are you studying?


How long is your course/visa?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am studying at Leeds University, on a 3 year course which ends in June 2012.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your reply.

They will have to make a separate application for a visa as a dependent of you to the nearest UK embassy.


They can apply if you meet the following eligibility criteria:-

  • you are studying in the UK for more than six months
  • they have a visa for this purpose and
  • you can support them without any help from public funds. If your primary site of study is in the Inner London Boroughs .You will need £400 for each month of stay for each of your dependents, if your primary site of study is outside the Inner London Boroughs

    If you are studying below degree level they will not be able to work.


    They will have to complete form VAF10 which is available for download from the UKBA visa services website.

    If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

    Kind regards,


    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

    When to I have to start processing my visa if I wish for her to join me by September 2011? Given the fact that she is living in Yemen, and the UK embassy there does not process visas there for security reasons.

    The application has to be sent to a UK mission in Syria, Egypt or Jordan
    Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
    You should submit as.soon as possible really. They aim to reach a determination on all applications within 8 weeks but frequently overrun. 4 months and longer is not unheard of and given the complications with where you can submit I would get it in ASAP.

    Please click accept.

    Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you