How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can you advice me i have a house on mortgage with my father

Resolved Question:

can you advice me:

i have a house on mortgage with my father ( joint mortgage). i was wondering is there any way to gift my part of the house to him, so he would be a sole owner. what is the procedure, if we have a fix mortgage for another 1.5 years. thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You need the consent of the mortgage company to do that, they will have a first legal charge which prohibits dispositions (ie. transfer of title) without their consent I'm afraid.


In effect they would probably require your father to be able to demonstrate sufficient funds to receive a mortgage offer in his sole name. Your mortgage company should be the first port of call in this regard. Explain what you wish to do and they will advise you of their requirements so that you can start the process. They may be able to do it mostly in house.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards.


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you