Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My son is 21 and is an american citizen. he wants to work in

My son is 21 and is an american citizen. he wants to work in the UK. What does he need to do?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

What nationality are you?

What nationality is his mother?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I responded earlier to the questions. I want to make sure that you received it. My account was charged already and I want to make sure that the back-and-forth is to my satisfaction. Thank you.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hi

I can't see that you have replied

Could you post the answers to the above question to this thread please.

Your money is held by just answer and only released to me when you click accept
Tom
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am his mother; my nationality is English, German and Irish. My maiden name was Olbricht. I grew up in Nurnberg, Germany (2 years old to 11 years old). I went to German school until 5th grade (Rudolf Steiner Schule). My sister was born in Nurnberg and had dual citizenship until 18 years old. Our ancestry includes General Friedrich Olbricht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Olbricht). My mother's maiden name was Privett and her grandparents were Taylors.

My son has my nationality plus my husbands which is Italian (mother's maiden name is Argona) and French (Bourdeau).

Please let me know what the next steps are. Thank you.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

You say your "nationality is English, German and Irish".

Do you hold a British passport?

Where were you born?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have a British passport. I was born in Ironton, Ohio USA.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Right, thanks. I just needed to establish that he was not eligible for UK citizenship or a right of abode.

The only option open to your son to come here and work at the present time is by applying for a Tier 2 Skilled Workers Visa, for which he would require a job offer from a employer licensed with the UKBA to sponsor skilled workers.

Tier 1 applications (where you do not need a sponsor) are not accepted any longer since the immigration cap on them.

He should focus on finding an employer in the line of work he wishes work in near the location he intends to live who can offer him a job. They should either be a sponsor already or should apply to become one.

He must also have the requisite number of points under the points based system in order be successful in apply. All the information you need to check eligibility and apply is here:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf26pbsskilledworker

If you or his father are EEA Nationality or hold EEA country passports then you should seek advice from immigration specialists in those countries as to whether your son is eligible for a EEA country passport (eg. German). He would then not require a visa and would instead be able to exercise his EEA treaty rights and travel to the UK to work.

Sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you know what is required for an EEA country passport? My son is a soccer player at Rutgers University and will be a Senior. He wanted to have all of his papers because he is interested in playing overseas and wanted to have his papers in order in case there is an interest in him. One summer during high school he played for a month with West Brom and also played in Germany with ODP. We are trying to remove any obstacles if a team became interested in him. He thinks a team won't even look at him if his papers are in order.

Do you know what he can do?

Thanks.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If he is to travel for a trial with a football club then he could apply for a sports visitor's visa on the following page (see "sports visitors"):-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#170398682

If he is successful then I would have thought the football club would arrange for his application to be made, this would most likely be for a Tier 2 visa as explained above. As you can imagine, this happens all the time as you can imagine.

The particular EEA country would have their own legislation governing whether he is eligible for a passport by virtue of his lineage I can't comment on that I'm afraid and you will have to take advice from a person qualified to give it in the particular country.

Kind regards,

Tom