How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

please can u help im trying to find out what i need to do to

Resolved Question:

please can u help im trying to find out what i need to do to bring my partner from the philippines to the uk.i know he(shes a sheman)needs to have a letter from me .we attend to have a cival partnership,i was going to go to see her over in philippines but ive got ms my doctor did not want me to go.can u help
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Is it intended that your partner will come here to settle permanently?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we hope to stay in the uk,i know she needs a vista with a supporting letter saying i'm willing to support my partner.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


It's more complicated than that I'm afraid. I think you're referring to a visitor's visa, which you can obtain by using a letter of invitation.


In order for your partner to come here, marry here and then settle permanently you will have to apply for a fiance visa.


Once married he would then have to apply for a spouses visa (settlement). Two applications, two application fees.


The eligibility criteria is largely similar for both applications


  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

Your partner will also have to pass and english language test showing they have a basic command of spoken and listening English. Your partner can find out approved test providers in their area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to them.


You will need to apply for fiance/spouses visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website


The above is taken to mean that you shall not claim any more benefits than that which you already claim and it helps if you can give them evidence of the type of jobs your fiance would be able to do to support you both when they are here. You should submit job advertisements for jobs they can do in your area.


You should consider instructing a immigration solicitor to prepare an application for you. You can find local solicitors via:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you