Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hello - just wondering how to convert a sharia marriage into

Customer Question

Hello - just wondering how to convert a sharia marriage into a civil marriage in the uk? thanks for any feedback
Submitted: 6 years ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Are both persons in the UK?

If not please state where they are.

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom

Thanks for your prompt response. So one person is a UK citizen (my boyfriend) and the other a UK permanent resident (myself). I have a United Arab Emirates passport, which means that the marriage is only recognized by the UAE if done by sharia. So we will get a UK religious sheikh to do this religious bit for us. Then the religious certificate needs to be converted into a civil marriage - I woudl normally just do the civil in our local registry office but we are actually getting married in Italy...so what I would really like is to get a certificate of no objection issued by the UK that I can then use to have the civil ceremony abroad in Italy! Slightly complicated I know - what do you advise?

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Where is the religious (Sharia) marriage to occur - in the UK?

Are you to then have the civil ceremony in Italy?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX

Yes exactly - religious in UK followed by civil ceremony in Italy (near Florence)

Many thanks

Dyala

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Right. If you are not going to have the sharia marriage registered in the UK at a Registry office and instead to have the marriage in Italy then you will have to comply with the requirements of Italian law for the marriage of one UK national to a non-uk national.

I attach a link to the relevant page on the Italian Embassy's website:-

http://ukinitaly.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-italy/how-register-marriage/

I'm afriad that I don't feel qualified to advise on the particulars of Marriage in Italy, being a UK solicitor so I'll opt out so that the question shall be free for other to answer. Because of the Italian element though it is possible that you may not receive further advice as this is a UK forum.

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom

Ok thank you for looking into this - can you just advise one more thing - if we registered the religious marriage at a UK regsitry office - does this require a full on civil ceremony or can it just be processed as paperwork? As if we can just get the document done, perhaps we can then present this to the commune in italy and they can perform an equivalent ceremony based on that?

Many thanks

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

No, I believe it is more of a case of attending the registry office and executing the appropriate forms as opposed to a ceremony.

I'm afraid I couldn't really comment on the second part of your last reply for the reasons above. I should have thought a more fruitful way forward would be to telephone the Italian Embassy and check personally.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX

Ok thanks again for your help

Very best

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Dyala,

You're welcome.

I was not aware that a customer could accept an answer after the expert had opted out.

I shall happily request a refund via the Mods if you like.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Tom

Not at all - you spent time answering and tried to help via uk law as much as poss which is why I accepted

Many thanks again

Dyala

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Dyale,

That's very generous - thank you very much.

I wish you the best of luck with your nuptuals.

Kind regards,

Tom