How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i want to marry my egptian fiance in uk can we marry on

Resolved Question:

hi i want to marry my egptian fiance in uk can we marry on a hoilday visa & he go back to eegpyt till he can get clearanse & i stay in uk or how we can marry in uk like i said he go back to egpyt i stay in uk tilll we can get a marry visa is that possible we can do that
many thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Can you confirm your fiance is here on a 6 months visitor's visa please.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no he dont have a visa at the moment i was asking if he come for a hliday to marry me will we be allowed to marry then when his hiliday is over he go back till we can get a visa for him to ba able to stay inb the uk with me i will stay in uk he will go after his hilday is finnished
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Usually a person here on a visa requires a Certificate of Approval from the UKBA in order to marry in the UK. If he comes on a visitor's visa and then applies for this then the UKBA will not like it and certainly take their time. There would also be an issue in that they may take the view that he has deceived them in obtaining a visitor's visa since this is only for the purposes of visiting.

The easiest way forward would be for him to apply for a fiance visa from Egypt so that he can come here and marry you. He would then have to apply for a spouses visa thereafter.



  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

He will also have to pass and english language test showing he has a basic command of spoken and listening English. He can find out approved test providers in his area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to him.


You will need to apply for fiance visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website. A solicitor could prepare an application for you for around £800-1, 000.00


ALternatively, were he to come here on a visitor's visa then you can marry in an Anglican church without a certificate of approval provided you both have your passports. Once you are married he will still have to return home and apply for a spouses visa.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can we marry imn a regesty office on a hoilday visa or no
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can we marry imn a regesty office on a hoilday visa or no or do we have to marry in a church
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
No, you can only marry in a registry office with a COA.

However, you marry in an anglican church without a COA provided you both have your passports.

Hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi so i can marry him in a chalic church he is muslium im r/c we we be acepted in the church
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all we need is a passport each
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

You're going to have to speak to the church about that but, yes, you will need both your passports to do this.

Please click accept.

Kind regards


Edited by Thomas on 2/9/2011 at 10:09 PM EST