How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi someone has overstayed their visitors visa to UK by

Customer Question


someone has overstayed their visitors visa to UK by 27 days I am due to leave tomorrow. what will happen
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



You are to leave tomorrow which is the 28th day of your overstay.


Is this correct?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes this is correct
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If you have overstayed for 28 days or less and you leave of your own accord then you will not receive a ban upon leaving.


If you leave on the 29th day or thereafter then they are empowered to ban you for (initially) a year so it is very important that you leave tomorrow.


If you leave within the 28 days then the UKBA will not be permitted (under the current law) to use the overstay as a general ground for refusal for a visa, if you stay past the 28th day then they will be able to use it as a general ground for refusal except in the case of an application for a visa based on family (eg. spouse).


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you