Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi someone has overstayed their visitors visa to UK by

Customer Question

Hi

someone has overstayed their visitors visa to UK by 27 days I am due to leave tomorrow. what will happen
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

You are to leave tomorrow which is the 28th day of your overstay.

Is this correct?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes this is correct
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If you have overstayed for 28 days or less and you leave of your own accord then you will not receive a ban upon leaving.

If you leave on the 29th day or thereafter then they are empowered to ban you for (initially) a year so it is very important that you leave tomorrow.

If you leave within the 28 days then the UKBA will not be permitted (under the current law) to use the overstay as a general ground for refusal for a visa, if you stay past the 28th day then they will be able to use it as a general ground for refusal except in the case of an application for a visa based on family (eg. spouse).

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom