How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in a relationship for 7 years and am now living

This answer was rated:

I have been in a relationship for 7 years and am now living with that partner in housing association accommodation. She moved into this from her divorce from a school caretaker. I have my own property that is now solely in my name since my divorce. This house has not been shared by myself and new partner.
Has she any claims on this property, even though she has had no involvement or made no contributions?



You are living in your unmarried partner's home.


You have another property in your sole name.


You want to know if your unmarried partner has any claim on the property in your sole name.


Is the above correct?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. She is unmarried through divorce though. She has never lived in my property or financially contributed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not received a reply yet, I may have made a mistake and replied to the email as well.

It's fine.

Do you pay rent to your partner in the property you are living in, or contribute to household expenses?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I pay half of everything
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am still waiting please, has this gone to someone else.



The basic position is that an unmarried partner in a relationship where there are no children would not be able to claim against your property in the event that you break up.


In order to do so they would either have had to have helped financially in the purchase of the property or repaying the mortgage on the property or spent capital on improving the property which then increased it's value. This is not what we have here and so your partner would not be able to establish an interest in your sole property. It is also quite an expensive application to make.

If there are any debts which you owe your partner as a result of the relationship which you cannot repay then if the agreements that lead to these debts were understood to be legally binding (ie. a legal obligation upon you to repay money to your partner) then your partner could sue you for these if you did not repay them. If your partner obtained judgement then they could apply for a charging order against your property, meaning that you would have to repay the sum upon sale of the property.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you