How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pls can you advise if my partner makes an application for a

Resolved Question:

Pls can you advise if my partner makes an application for a divorce either here in the Uk or in Singapore - then legally would i be informed that this acion has been taken? Or am i only informed when he actually files for divorce?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



When your partner files a divorce petition in a UK Court it is issued by the Court and then a copy of it is sent to you with an acknowldgement of service form. The divorce will not proceed unless you acknowledge the petition or the petitioner arranges service upon you (usually by way of a process server) or convinces the judge that you have been properly served the petition or to dispense with service altogether (this only really happens when it is shown that it is impossible to serve you - very rare).


You would have to check with a Singaporean lawyer as to their divorce process, but I should think it unlikely that it would proceed without a similar kind of process to the above.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you