How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70292
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, I was stopped for speeding 43 mph in a 30mph zone, as I

Customer Question

hi, I was stopped for speeding 43 mph in a 30mph zone, as I work abroad I could not send my licence in or pay the fine immediately as I had to rent a car abroad. During this time I lost the speeding ticket. I then contacted the police who told me to contact motherwell justice of the peace court to pay the fine. On using the internet I got the contact number from the web site and tried on more than 10 occasions to make contact to pay the fine without success, as the number on the web site does not work. I now have a citation and am told I will have a criminal record as I have not paid the fixed penalty. Is there anything I can do to stop this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 years ago.


Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.


Do you have any other points on your licence?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no my licence has been held for 22 years and never had any points for any offences
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 years ago.
What's the citation for? What legislation is quoted?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
speeding 43 mph in a 30 mph limit (section 81 and 89 of the road traffic regulation act 1984)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 years ago.
Im sorry about the delay. I've had a day of running around.

All thats happened here, I think, is that you were sent a conditional fixed penalty offer which you didn't accept for whatever reason. Even though it was not your fault, you failed to pay. Because you failed to pay, they summonsed you to court.

Although speeding is a crime, it is not the type of crime that has any impact on your character.

Since you have not paid and accepted the conditional fixed penalty, all you can do is plead guilty by post. If Im wholly honest Im surprised they offered a fixed penalty anyway given that you were doing 43 in a 30 zone.

I am happy to discuss the above but please remember to click on accept. I will continue to help thereafter for free.