How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am close to divorce and my lawyer is not doing a good job.

Resolved Question:

I am close to divorce and my lawyer is not doing a good job. Being the petitioner would I have to re-file papers if I appointed a more diligent individual
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Are you asking whether you would have to refile the petition if you changed solicitors?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.



that is exactly my question. My solicitor has a heavy case load and probably can see more fee opportunities in some of the others.







Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



No there would be no requirement to issue the divorce petition again. That simply stands as is and the divorce and proceed from the precise point at which you are now.


Your current solicitor would require that there fees are paid before releasing your file to your new solicitor though, they have a lien on it until their fees are settled. Of course, you are free to dispute those fees after you have settled their account though.

Your new solicitor would simply send a Notice of Acting to the Court and to your wife's solicitors and then proceed accordingly.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you