How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

does my comman law partner of ten years have any entitlements

This answer was rated:

doe's my comman law partner of ten year's have any entitlements to my house.



What contributions (eg. rent or to the mortgage) have they made? Are these more than they would otherwise have paid for renting private accomodation?


Did they contribute to the financing of the original purchase of it?


Are there any children of the relationship?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i paid the deposit,

i have paid the mortgage from day one until now,

i have paid all the utility bills from day one until now,

my ex partner has three children aged 28, 23, 21, who i see as my step children,


Has your ex-parter paid anything at all? Household expenses, rent?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she has never paid any rent,

what do you mean by household expenses,

Utility bills, food, day to day living expenses..........


Has she paid money to improve the property (eg. building an extension)?


Sorry it's taking a while.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she buys the food each week ,but i eat out at least three times a week as she does not always cook for me,

i have paid for all major improvements that have increased the property value,



On the facts stated she will not be able to make a claim against the property. In order to do so one would have had to have contributed over and above the rent they would have paid elsewhere OR to the original purchase of the property OR by making capital contributions to improving the property.


She has not done this and would not be advised to make what is commonly a very expensive application to make.


This advise assumes that the property is registered in your sole name.


If you wish for me to advise on how to evict your partner from the property if you anticipate this will become an issue then I can do so.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that i may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you