How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear sir/Madam My husband and I have known each other for

This answer was rated:

Dear sir/Madam
My husband and I have known each other for almost 7 years.I kept coming to the UK by visit visa and my husband was and asylum.We decided to get married 2 years ago.We got married in the Islamic Centre in London(musilm marriage),We could not register our marriage in Registery Office because I was on visit visa and he was an asylum.Since we got married I didn't go back to my country and I have over stayed my visa.Now my husband got Indefinite Leave to remain in the UK.
My question is what is the best and fastest way that I can apply for a marriage visa?Staying here and apply from here or going back to my own country and apply from there?
Many thanks



The UKBA will not consider an application you make from this country, you will have to return home and have the marriage registered in your home country and then apply for a spouses visa to the nearest UK Embassy.


The overstay on its own is not grounds to refuse a spouses visa provided you meet the other eligibility criteria, which is as follows:-


    • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
    • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
    • 3. Your husband is present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
    • 4. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
    • 5. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
    • 6. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
    • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports

You will also have to pass a basic english language test showing you have a basic command of spoken and listen ting english. You can contact the UK embassy for test providers back home,



You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your husband before submitting it.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you