UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I want to know if an airline will allow my severely disabled father to travel with me to T…

Customer Question
I want to know if...
I want to know if an airline will allow my severely disabled father to travel with me to Tanzania, where he will be living with me until he dies. His problems are many and serious and I feel would need a nurse to travel with him (at my cost, of course). Will an airline (probably KLM) be able to accommodate this once in a lifetime trip? Is there any chance of managing this, even at any additional cost? He is currently bed-ridden and is an amputee; diabetic; can use a catheter for the journey as he is unable to use toilet facilities without a hoist. This is basically going to be his last (and only) flight in his lifetime. I am prepared to pay whatever it takes, but need to know if it is possible. The estimated date of travel is March 2012.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/2/2011
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've any queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, kindly click the Green ACCEPT button.

Whether this is possible will depend initially on his getting medical clearance from a doctor for the trip. This certificate is to demonstrate that he will be medically safe to travel.

There are laws on what the airlines have to provide but they must only provide what is reasonable in all the circumstances. This does not extend to for example adapting seating etc. He would need to be able to sit in a chair. Of course his needs may be able to be accommodated in first or business class. It really depends on the severity of his condition.

The code of practice for airlines is published here which will be of use. http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/aviationshipping/accesstoairtravelfordisabled.pdf

The HolidayExtras.com Customers' Award for Most Recommended Airline for Travellers with a Disability are as follows:

1. Air Canada
2. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
3. SWISS
4. Aer Lingus
5. Virgin Atlantic

So KLM would see a good choice. It is likely that this air fare would be more expensive than a standard passenger due to your fathers needs but your best bet is to contact and work with the airline to see if they can accommodate his needs and ascertain prices for doing so.
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer