UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I ordered an X Box on Dec 10th which had not arrived by 20…

I ordered an X Box...
I ordered an X Box on Dec 10th which had not arrived by 20 Dec. I rang the suppliers who said that it had been delivered and signed for, but would not give me the name of the person who signed for it or the address to which it was delivered.

I believe my "contract" to be with the supplier and, consequently, feel that they have a responsibility to retrieve the present from whoever signed for it and redeliver it to me. Am I right?

Please advise how I can receive satisfaction.

Thank you.

John Fowle
1/2/2011
Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Daniel Smith

Hi John. Thanks for your question. I will try and assist you with this.

The supplier will have an obligation to release this information to you. However, regardless of whether or not it is released, the point is that you haven't yet received the thing you have paid for and which was agreed to be delivered to your home address. Their terms and conditions may stipulate a time for delivering the goods, and this will be the time they must comply with. In the absence of a specific time, they have 30 days to deliver them to you.

However, you do have the right to notify them in writing that you wish to cancel the contract under the Distance Selling Regulations, (assuming you bought this online, over the phone or otherwise not in the presence of the seller, such as at a store) and require a full refund. The right is generally unconditional, so long as exercised within 7 days of receiving the goods - which, of course, hasn't yet happened in your case!

Have a look at this guide on cancellation rights - it may assist? http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf No doubt you can find one at another local retailer now the Christmas rush is out the way - and probably in the sales at a reduced price somewhere!

Good luck and I hoped this helps.

Regards

Thank you very much....extremely useful.

John Fowle

You're welcome - if you're satisfied, please do press ACCEPT.

Thank you!

Regards

Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Daniel Smith