UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

.My father who was a very fit man was overdosed on steroids…

Customer Question
.My father who was a...
.My father who was a very fit man was overdosed on steroids by his doctor, this lead to my father collapsing with internal bleeding which would have killed him if it wasn't for the quick thinking of another doctor, it was said at the time that my fathers doctor should never have made this mistake, as all doctors are trained to prevent this from happening.
There was no reprimand, and certainly no apology made in any manner although questions
where asked to how this had happened, my fathers doctor put it down to his computer.
Since this overdose my father became very ill, suffering from a heart attack, a stroke and finally dieing from cancer two weeks after being told by his doctor, if it had been found earlier he would have had another ten years to live.
I have since had a conversation with my fathers doctor who happens to be my doctor,
and put it to him that he caused my fathers early death by overdose, his reply was yes well and carried on with our conversation as if it was an every day occurrence, this conversation was recorded.
Is this a case of gross negligence, misconduct and should I report this to the police as I fill there should be some sort of an investigation.
I eagerly await your answer.
yours sincerly mark.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/2/2011
Solicitor: F E Smith, Solicitor replied 7 years ago
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
How long ago was the misdiagnosis?

My father died a year and a half ago, but I have only recently had this conversation with my doctor as as i have had other things to address and did not have much information until now.

Good afternoon,

You may well have a valid claim for what is now called clinical negligence. The time limit for this is normally 3 years but this can be from the date of your own knowledge of the potential misdiagnoses. You should engage a solicitor as this kind of case is quite complex and only a certain number of solicitors have a contract with the Legal Services Commission for it to be funded by legal aid.

You should contact the Law Society via the link below to find such a solicitor in your area as it is highly unlikely that any solicitor would take this case on on a no win no fee basis as there are considerable costs to pay out such as the obtaining of medical records and the provision of specialist medical reports. In my view it is certainly worth pursuing if you can deal with it on the above basis.

Thank you for your reply, I understand the difficulties in prosecuting a doctor, but is this not a case the police can investigate as this could be manslaughter or even murder.

Good afternoon,

I believe the prospect of successfully prosecuting the doctor in these circumstances are remote as some criminal intent has to be proved and at the very least complete and utter recklessness and disregard which I suspect the police will not wish to pursue. There is nothing however to prevent you from contacting them for advice.

F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor