UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi, I have not been able to see my balance in my bank account…

Hi, I have not been...
Hi, I have not been able to see my balance in my bank account due to bad weather and moving house no telephone etc. and a relative who was unwell who has now unfortunately died.I have now found out that there was £4,000 been paid into my account in housing benefit in error and I have used most of the money to help the person who was unwell.I am very concerned about this payment could you please offer some advice please.
1/2/2011
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've any queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, kindly click the Green ACCEPT button.

Can I ask how you managed to spend so much without realizing please - I appreciate you could not view your balance but £4K is a to to spend without realizing you are spending a lot nevertheless - hence my query.
It soon added up with financial assistance to relatives, funeral expenses ,travelling expenses.
OK thanks.

1. Is it usual for you to keep this level of money in your account? i.e. were you surprised that all the transactions you were making were being approved by your bank?
  2. Can you repay the money?

Essentially what I am trying to understand is whether or not you found or failing which should have reasonably found it unusual to be able to spend this level of money from your normal level of funds in your bank.
I do have some funds in the account and an overdraft facility and no I cannot repay the amount.
OK thanks.

THe position is that if the benefits have been paid incorrectly then they will be repayable. The reason I was asking the above questions is because if it could be shown that you knowingly spent money that you knew not to be yours there could be an allegation of theft. I do not think there is a significant danger of that here but if questioned you should be able to explain why you did not find it odd that you were able to spend so much money without query.

In terms of the repayment, if it cannot be repaid in a lump sum, it is likely the benefits office will make deductions from future benefits until the sum is repaid; I would recommend you discuss the matter with them to try to come to some arrangement both of you can live with. Perhaps the individuals you helped can assist themselves once they are better?
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer