UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have been burnt by my ac adaptor for my laptop,it is about…

Customer Question
I have been burnt by...
I have been burnt by my ac adaptor for my laptop,it is about the size of the palm of my hand and is on my stomach,is it worth bothering about a PI claim?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/2/2011
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 7 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

How bad is the injury? Did you have to go to hospital? Has it caused you expense or loss of earnings?
It is mostly a scald it has blisterd in parts,I didnt go to hospital as the blister had already formed and it is only the size of the palm of my hand,I dont know if you can view pictures ?But I have a pciture on my photobucket site...I understand you are not a medical professional but I am not very good at describing!It hasnt cost me anything or loss of earnings.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/sammywambam119/55bd13a8.jpg

Sorry, I went offline last night.

I had a look at the photograph and obviously its not a grave injury. It hasn't cost you anything and so there are limits to what can be claimed.

A personal injury claim is very simple though. You just have to show that they had a duty which they neglected and you suffered loss. If this item caused this injury when you used it in the way it was supposed to be used then you would seem to have a claim. You can show that an injury was caused.

The problem here will be the amount that can be claimed. personal injury isn't very well compensated in the UK. You only get compensation for the actual amount of loss you suffered. There were no lost earnings here or out of pocket expenses. we do not know of any long term consequences. You would get a certain amount in pain and suffering but, if Im wholly honest, not a lot.

You can talk to these no win no fee firms to see if they would take it on but, overall, the sum in court costs would probably outweigh the value of any claim.

That said, you can still write to them asking for some form of compensation. there clearly has been injury and they would probably offer something to avoid going to court.

I am happy to discuss the above but please remember to click on accept. I will continue to help.