UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hello and if you could help with the below question i would…

Customer Question
Hello and if you could...
Hello and if you could help with the below question i would be extremely greatful?
"If i want to protect my property following a civil partnership with my partner from Brazil (which we are arranging for March 2011) do i need to complete a separate legal and financial document or does the civil partnership paperwork enable me to achieve this?"
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/2/2011
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've any queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, kindly click the Green ACCEPT button.

It is possible obviously to own the property on your own but this does not guarantee that your future civil partner could not make a claim on it if the relationship were to break down.

You need to consider a pre-civil partnership agreement which documents have gained increasing weight in the British courts. These agreements require a cooling off period and therefore should be signed a number of weeks prior to the civil partnership ceremony.

Whilst these documents do not absolutely guarantee the security of your property, in that the judge is not bound by them, it is probably the best thing you can do to protect yourself in the circumstances.

Hi And sorry for the delated response, its been a bousy first week back at work.

Please can you just confirm how much money will come out of my account for this answer prior to my accepting - i was under the impresion the deposit was the total sum but would like confirmation of this?

Thanks

Adam

you have already paid so you do not pay again when you press accept. When you press accept, it simply confirms that you are satisfied with the answer you have received and that the lawyer - in this case me - is credited for his answer.

in this case, you have paid $30.76 though this will have been charged in your local currency which I presume is pounds Sterling. In any event, as I say you have already paid and do not pay again.

Please come back to me if you have any further queries.