UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hello i would like to ask a question i said the police that…

Hello i would like to...
Hello i would like to ask a question i said the police that my partner raped me just because i was lying, now i want to withdraw a statement is it possible?
1/1/2011
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

Are you saying that you lied to the police which had your partner arrested?

Yes i did, there was an accident of domestic in which my partner admitted but i lied to the police that he raped me month ago but its not true i just waanted to revenge my partner.

Well, you can certainly explain that to the police. Come what may you can't go to court and lie so you will have to tell the truth.

But there is a reasonable chance they will prosecute you for perverting the course of justice and the guidelines say that custody is appropriate.

You can't go around making false allegations of rape Im afraid whether you've had a domestic squabble or for any other reason.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Sorry i didnt understand the second sentence. Yes the police came and there was accident that my partner pulled me inside the door and locked me and then i called the police but because i came with another friend my partner deceided to hit him but he just pulled me inside the flat. And then i said what happenede they start to ask a lot of questions, and then i decided to tell that he raped me month ago i dont know why i did that now because its not true, then after an hour came woman who wrote my staement and i was lying but is it possible i will say to the police that i was on my emotions i was in euphoria condition and i just imagine everythinfg to revenge my partner. What they gonna do can they withdrw a statemnet and not proceed it to the court???
Not necessarily.

You are saying you've made a false allegation of rape. That is perverting the course of justice. People go to prison for that.

In fairness, they don't follow them all up but there is a reasonable chance that you will be prosecuted for this.

You cant tell lies to the police. Its a very serious matter if you do. More serious than most main offences.

That said, if this allegation is false you will have to tell the truth. They will not prosecute him then. But you can't go to court and lie as that is even more serious.

Edited by Jomo1972 on 1/1/2011 at 2:50 PM EST

I dont want to tell the police but is it possible that i will say i was on emotions i was in euphoria affect, and is it possible they will accept this. But i dont want them to proceed this matter to court, so how is better to tell the police all this about rape ?

is it possible to tell that i told about rape because i was on emotions and i was in stress, will they accept that and if i will withdraw a statement could advice me how to write it better what better to mention?

In the course of legal proceedings, you can only tell the truth.

It would have been best if you had not made a false allegation in the first place. Having done so, the only way forward is to be truthful.
Could you tell me if they will remove charges from him if i will say that i was on emotiona and i wanted to revenge him, if i mention this in my statement they will not proceed it to the court?

Like I said, you can only tell the truth.

If the truth is that this allegation was false, they will not prosecute him. But there is a fair chance they will prosecute you.

On the other hand, you cannot go to court and lie as that is an even more serious offence.

I am sorry but you can't make false allegations of rape.
Thank you.
How many years or a fine i can get if i will tell that i made a false alligation of rape?

It depends on whats happened. Have you told the police the truth yet?
No i havent but tomorrow i will withdraw statement so if i tell them i wanted to revenge him thats why i did that. Will they accept that or i just tell that i lied. Depends how many years i can get for this?

Sorry, are you suggesting that you propose to tell further lies tomorrow?
No i dont want to lie so what do i need to say that i made a false statement and i want to withdraw charges against Chris and i want to drop the case?

You can only tell the truth in the course of legal proceedings.

Only you know what the truth is here.
How many years i can get if i say that i made a false statement?

As I said, it depends what happened here. If he's been charged then the sentences increase substantially. If he hasn't been hugely inconvenienced yet then less so.

Yes i told you exactly what happened yesterday iam going tomorrow write a statement about withdrawing all charges against Chris. So could you advice me how it is better to say???

I am sorry but its not ethical of me to tell you what to say. You can only tell the truth. If the truth is that you've lied then thats what you must say.

They don't follow all these up.

Yes i will tell them truth but will they believe me what if they will think iam scared thats why iam lying saying that i accused him because iam scared and will the withdraw charges against him??? Will they still carry on leading this process to the court if they will not believe me when i will say i was lying???

No, they won't do that with a rape.

They do sometimes summons with a domestic assault on those grounds. But if you've made a false allegation of rape and you admit to it, then in the long run they would have no option but to discontinue.
Thank you!!!
No problem. How did you get on?
Yes everything is ok now my partner has been released after i made another statement but because he admitted few things in domestic violence he wasNow accused in common assault. But everything is fine now. Now i have problem he doesnt want to be with me anymore....
Glad it worked out. Obviously do not lie to the police again. You were lucky this time.