UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

HelloI sent two contracts to a client for services provided,

Customer Question
Hello I sent two contracts to...
Hello

I sent two contracts to a client for services provided of which she refuses to sign, and sent an introduction later to them, stating that clients werent allowed to move into their property without first paying Agency fees, and that any deposits or monies paid are not refundable.

I have now been pursuing payments of £250 for 2 weeks, and my client refuses to pay, stating that other agencies are cheaper and that my asking price is too expensive, and she has sent me a letter stating that she is only willing to me £100 for my services in cash without using the banking methods sent to her. She has already paid her deposit to the family taking her son in as a student, the payment of £450 as security. In the policy it states clearly that all monies paid are not refundable. So I was trying to let her know its in her best interest to pay the fees otherwise she looses £450.

All her letters to me state that she is grateful for my services, and that I have worked very hard for her and she appreciates my efforts. But she refuses to give me my agency fees of £250.

I stated to her that all Agencies charge different rates, for different things they do, she obviously contests this. I said she should have shopped around before enlisting our help. Also that if they were cheaper why did she not use them?

So I want to know what is my legal status on this matter, since I have sent documents after documents warning her of payments.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/1/2011
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 7 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

Did she agree verbally to your charges?

Yes she did, because I was requested by her to help her find a host family since november, so, at some point she knew how much, we are now in January, and she only refused to pay since the last two weeks, so.

She said she has asked other agencies of their cost, and she said i am too expensive, but i said she knew how much it was before, and that if it was too much she shouldnt have sent me all the letters stating to find other families...I have all her correspondences, showing she enlisted my help and was grateful for what i was doing for her. So I am buffled as to why she has all of sudden backed out of paying me.

The last letter is still stating how grateful she is for all the hard work. So she recognizes that I worked for her, but she refuses to pay me at my agreed rate.

Yes, but did she agree to your prices before you did the work and she did not cancel at any time before you started?

She asked me and I told her how much by mail and she didnt say anything at that point, but ignored the mail and continued asking me to help her, and she did not cancel at that point or any point until 2wks ago when it came to paying.

She continued to ask questions and wanted me to continue find her family when one or two more families werent suitable.

She is comparing me to other agencies and their services and thinks I should be like them

If she received your prices and asked you to do the work then you are entitled to think that amounts to an acceptance of the price. She can't vary the price now on the basis that she's found that others are cheaper.

If she refuses to pay then you can sue here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

and you should do so.

Contracts are really simple on the whole. They are about holding people to their promises. There is no need for a written document. An oral agreement is sufficient.

I am happy to discuss the above but please remember to click on accept. I will continue to help thereafter for free.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister