How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A long term family solicitor is dealing with conveyancing and

Resolved Question:

A long term family solicitor is dealing with conveyancing and probate for us.
However, I am concerned about the level of costs being charged. In the interim statement I find we are paying £185 an hour for the 'standard' Solicitor and £210 for the Senior partner when required. It's not only the level of charges but also the amount of time they are charging for.
Is there some 'independent' way we can challenge the charges without upsetting the relationship?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



You should have been informed of the hourly rates of those persons working on your file, the likely costs and how these are calculated.


Initially you might ask them to address themselves to your concern by providing you with a detailed account of how the charges have been calculated, broker down in to hourly units.

If you are unhappy then you may consider a complaint.


The procedure for any complaint (eg. billing or legal error) is to first initiate the firm's internal complaints process. Set out your concerns in writing, refer to their complaints service and ask for the process to be initiated. The complaints will be addressed by the firm and they will then take the action they consider appropriate.


If you are still unhappy with this then you will have contact the Legal Ombudsman giving them details of the complaint. They will try and resolve it informally. If they can't then they will investigate the complaint formally and then make a decision over whether to reduce the fees.


Legal Ombudsman
PO Box 15870
B30 9EB

Tel: 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm)
Minicom: 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />E-mail: [email protected]
Website: (New window)


I would not worry too much about upsetting the solicitor, we are a tough skinned lot and you are paying for a service.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. YOu will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you