How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am just about to move in with my fiancee, I have my own house

Resolved Question:

I am just about to move in with my fiancee, I have my own house that i will be renting, his house is solely in his name and i won't be contributing to any bills apart from food. He wants me to sign an cohabitation agreement first as he says if we split up then i can make a claim on the house, I don't think i will have any rights especially as i have my own house to move back to, which of us is correct?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



The postition is that if you were to move in and contributed "rent" directly to him (and not paid to his mortgage company) then provided the amount you pay is not more than you would otherwise pay in rent privately elsewhere and you do not make other capital expenditure (eg significant sums to improve the property and it's value) then you would not be able to make any kind of claim on the property.


Nevertheless, domestic arrangements as to finance are inevitably fluid so if they shoe were on the other foot I would be advising your fiancee to ask you to execute a cohabitation agreement for the additional security that it provides.


Once you have been married for considerable time though the house would be included in the matrimonial asset pool over which you would negotiate settlement, but so would your other house so it would presumably even out to an extent.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Edited by Thomas on 12/4/2010 at 11:04 AM EST
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you