Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If a will from a Husband leaves his assetts to his Wife - does

If a will from a Husband leaves his assetts to his Wife - does there need to be probate ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Only small value estates do not require a grant of probate. This is where there is no property (eg. a home or interest in a home) and where the institutions where assets are held (eg. banks) allow for those assets to pass without a grant of probate being obtained. It will depend on the institutions policy.

As a general rule estates where the value is no more than £5000.00 is considered a small estate.

If there is a home to be transfered otherwise than by survivorship or monies greater than £5000 then the likelihood that a grant of probate will be required.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom