How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a will from a Husband leaves his assetts to his Wife - does

Resolved Question:

If a will from a Husband leaves his assetts to his Wife - does there need to be probate ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Only small value estates do not require a grant of probate. This is where there is no property (eg. a home or interest in a home) and where the institutions where assets are held (eg. banks) allow for those assets to pass without a grant of probate being obtained. It will depend on the institutions policy.


As a general rule estates where the value is no more than £5000.00 is considered a small estate.


If there is a home to be transfered otherwise than by survivorship or monies greater than £5000 then the likelihood that a grant of probate will be required.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you