UK Law

Dear Madam/Sir, I am 60 years old, working as an Admin in…

Customer Question
Dear Madam/Sir, I am 60 years...
Dear Madam/Sir,
I am 60 years old, working as an Admin in the Crown Prosecution Service, in one of the London Police Stations.
I prefer not to find advice with one of my colleagues.
My partner's daughter (a graduate in History of Art and now taking a second degree in Law) is/was working in a very important public museum in London. She... Read full answer
Dear Madam/Sir,
My partner's daughter (a graduate in History of Art and now taking a second degree in Law) is/was working in a very important public museum in London. She was fired last Friday 5 minutes before 17.00, just when she was leaving the office for her weekend. Her manager called the security to show her the doors of the building. Her feelings, her reputation, an for her life, seems to be completely destroyed.
This case (work) is already being handled by a lawyer. I am more interested in the criminal side of this situation, meaning the implications of what happened in what I believe it is a breach of her Human Rights, Private Data and Privacy Laws.
The case is:
Her manager told her at the moment he fired her and called the security not to log off her computer account because he wanted to see what was inside in her account. Her computer account contains her personal files, comments, opinions, addresses, identification, etc.
She also did not have time to gather all her personal belongs, including her employment contract.
I fear that her manager, having access to her login, can in good will or not good will change, read, re-create, delete, use, mis-use any of her private data, information or documents.
I recommended her pressing an official complaint to the police, directly against her Manager not against her Employer.
1-I would like to know if the complaint can be done against her manager
or
it is against her employer.
2-Also, if there is a case for criminal complaint?
Regards
F.
To be clear: the reasons the manager invoked to fire her were:
1) undermining his authority when she took minutes to a meeting as requested by the invited guest, part of her duties - job description. Her manager order her to take the minute after the meeting by talking with the guest, meaning the guest would have to re-create the meeting.
2) Not enough cups and small plates in a small venue.

Only her contract, left in her desk, can confirm her duties and job description
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2010
Solicitor: Tulkinghorn, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Tulkinghorn
Tulkinghorn, Solicitor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer

From what you say I can't see that either her manager or her employer has committed any criminal act, though she may well have civil claims against them.

The Human Rights Act does not create any criminal offences, it merely gives rise to civil rights. Neither is there any specific legislation that makes it a criminal offence to invade someone's privacy in this way.

I can't see how any offence would have been committed under the Data Protection Act, either. This does not prevent her employer accessing personal data on her computer at work. If she was naive enough to store personal data on her work PC she unfortunately has to accept the consequences.

Had it not been an employment situation the Computer Misuse Act 1990 might have applied. However, her contract of employment will almost certainly authorise her employer to search her computer, and even if it doesn't it's the employer's property, and they would probably have such an implied right anyway.

Tulkinghorn
Tulkinghorn, Solicitor
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Do mobile companies are allowed to give the contents of
Do mobile companies are allowed to give the contents of messages to their customers ? … read more
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Solicitor,
Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
hi, i had a meeting with my manager who has been intimidating
hi, i had a meeting with my manager who has been intimidating and rude to me in the past. I recorded this meeting without his knowledge or consent, I have since filed a grievance against him using the… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
Hi , I have a difficult situation . I currently manage a person
Hi , I have a difficult situation . I currently manage a person who has been on suspension following an act of gross misconduct. An act that most people connected with the case thought would lead to d… read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
Stop searching for answers—
My wife was asked to attend a meeting with her co-ordinator
My wife was asked to attend a meeting with her co-ordinator to make her aware of a 5 page letter of complaint that had been sent to the HR department. This letter made a whole host of allegations, all… read more
Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie
my grandaughter has been charged with a.b.h against daughters
my grandaughter has been charged with a.b.h against daughters partner after years ofholding back she finally snapped threw cup of coffee in his face he rabbed her round her throat and in ensuing strug… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
Dear UK solicitor, I live in a social housing estate in
Dear UK solicitor, I live in a social housing estate in London - a private car company manages the parking. I have a permit. My car was parked in its allotted space. My tax ran out and 8 days later th… read more
Joshua
Joshua
Lawyer,
LL.B (Hons), Prof. Dip. Law & Pract
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Misuse of personal data by using a persons emails against them
Misuse of personal data by using a persons emails against them in a civil law case.... A claim has been made last year in relation to property, and alledged damaged and missing personal effects. Durin… read more
UK-Justice
UK-Justice
I am trying to leave a job (NHS) and have been offered a post.
I am trying to leave a job (NHS) and have been offered a post. My manager instead of writing me a reference, they claim not to have received it (even though the email address is correct and second ref… read more
Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie
I have been suspended from work following several complaints.
I have been suspended from work following several complaints. Two have been made by patients (I work in a secure unit for clients with learning difficulties, mental health problems and challenging beh… read more
Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie
I was taken along with another collegue into the boardroom
I was taken along with another collegue into the boardroom today and accused of bullying introvertly and harrassment. we were informed that should she have cause to speak to us about this again it wou… read more
JGM
JGM
Solicitor,
I am employed by the mod , i was told i would be trained ie
I am employed by the mod , i was told i would be trained ie: computer, as long as i was a team player it was ok. I was bullied by a female cpl, because of my lack of knowledge ,i was reduced to tears … read more
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
UK Lawyer,
Legal Practice Course
i am due for an investigatory meeting and i asked for copies
i am due for an investigatory meeting and i asked for copies of the witness statements against me and was denied is this right????… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
Stop searching for answers—
hello to all and I hope you can help, I work as a restaraunt
hello to all and I hope you can help, I work as a restaraunt manager for a national company. I am currently under suspension, I was suspended on monday morning by my line manager. Allegedly I have bee… read more
Jo C.
Jo C.
Barrister,
There is a restructure taking place, i have been off ill for
There is a restructure taking place, i have been off ill for 6 weeks with stress due to incidents surrounding the restructure and my union is dealing with this. On my return to work i noticed a docume… read more
Rob
Rob
My partner is in dispute with her employer who have not aligned
My partner is in dispute with her employer who have not aligned her role correctly within their structure & have initiated area changes affecting others but not taken her into account when meeting the… read more
Michael Holly
Michael Holly
someone at work has hacked into my daughters e-mail accont
someone at work has hacked into my daughter's e-mail accont on MSN and printed off some private e-mails she sent to her mother in which she makes disparaging remarks about her boss. In law, is there a… read more
PTS Law Ltd
PTS Law Ltd
35 years experience English Solicit
A grievance of bullying and harrassment has been brought against
A grievance of bullying and harrassment has been brought against me maliciously by an employee who has now left the organisation following a 10 minute meeting. HR has informed that as they have left t… read more
K
K
Partner of Law Firm,
LLB Law Degree and BA (Hons)
In July of this year my friend suspected her husband was having
In July of this year my friend suspected her husband was having on line affairs as he was always on the computer and very secretative. Knowing his log in details she went into his hotmail account to f… read more
PTS Law Ltd
PTS Law Ltd
35 years experience English Solicit