UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have been sent a electricity bill for 526.86 for over a…

Customer Question
I have been sent a...
I have been sent a electricity bill for £526.86 for over a year ago. And it was only for a month. I had bought the shop and got a deal with british gas for electricity and gas. My supplier for electricity at the time was southern electricity. Now I am really confused as to how they charged me the above amount for only a month when I have received a bill of that amount for a whole quarter to this day. I would like to know how they can send me a letter after a year and threaten me with debt collection agency. Also they told me that there was no other way and that I had to pay that amount no matter what. Please guide me as to what can be done. Thank you very much
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 7 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

What do you want to know about this exactly

I myself know that southern electricity are charging me extortionate amounts of money, especially for the amount of time and electricity supplied. I would like to know if this is legal or I have any rights to challenge the bill. I mean i have not received anything for a year and now they send me a bill followed by threatening letters about debt collection agencies. What can I do and is it cost effective?

If they are overcharging then there are various options.

You can complain to Ofcom about this if you think its just that they are charging you a high amount.

If you think that they are charging you for electricity not used or at a higher rate than that which you agreed then you can just refuse to pay and invite them to sue you. They may or may not do so. If you are still there and they are your providers then they may do so. If they are no longer your providers then they may not bother but will just use debt collection companies.

There's no need to worry about this type of debt collection though. without a CCJ they can take no action against you.

I am happy to discuss the above but please remember to click on accept. I will continue to help.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister