Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

need to find out when can u apply for a british nationalit

need to find out when can u apply for a british nationality
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

What passport do you hold?

Are either of your parents British

What is your visa status in the UK and when was this obtained?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi i am a british citizen, and i got married to my husband in Copenhagen Denmark in August 2007. My husband held a pakistani passport and got a visa in June 2008, He came to the UK in June 2008 he went in and out the uk in the past 2 years as he could not work and could not go to school in the uk because he had no resources to public funds, after 2 years i applied to the home office and explained that he was getting fed up here and he could not go to school or work so the home office granted him a indefinate leave to remain on 07 July 2010 could u plz tell me when could i apply for a british nationality for him
thanks
sonia
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Sonia,

If your husband has been granted indefinite leave to remain by the Home Office then he will be able to apply to be naturalised one year after having obtained ILR (so 8th July 2011 in your husbands case).

He must also have observed the following:-

• have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
  • have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
  • have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.
  •  

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    hi can i apply like 2 months before or do i have to apply on dat date
    Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I believe you have to wait because unlike when you are on a visa and it is to expire your husband has indefinite leave to remain and therefore there is not time by which he must apply.

Hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom