How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a daughter born 2002 and I am registered as the father

This answer was rated:

I have a daughter born 2002 and I am registered as the father on the birth certificate. I subsequently married her mother in 2004, but we have since divorced although I continue to have regular access to my daughter and have done since we separated.
Do I have parental responsibility or will I need to apply formally for it?


Thanks for your question.


You are registered on the child's birth certificate as their father with the consent of the mother then you acquired PR at that point (s4(1)(a) Childrens Act 1989. Unless there was a Court order made pursuant to your divorce (or in other family proceedings) which ended your PR then it will continue.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for that. just one quick query. Does it not matter that the birth was registered before December 1 2003, as I am aware PR is automatic after that.

I'm terribly sorry I misread the date.


Yes, you would not have acquired at the time of birth but would have acquired it upon marrying the mother. You would not have lost it in divorcing unless there was a court order to the contrary.


Sorry for the oversight.


Kind regards,



Thomas and 4 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you