How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im moving in with partner can i draw up contract stating deposit

Resolved Question:

im moving in with partner can i draw up contract stating deposit is mine just incase
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Are you buying a property together or rent one?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how long will this tak im new to this and it wont cost me any more will it
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



You have to ask the conveyancer acting on your behalf to draw up a declaration of trust between you and your co-purchaser. This is an agreement executed by you both as a deed which states what you wish to happen to the proceeds of sale when the property is sold.


It can state either that you should receive an amount equal to you deposit from the equity realised upon sale or otherwise that you should receive a greater percentage proportion to account for you contributing the deposit. It is your choice.


This can be registered against the legal title of the property as a notice so that the conveyancer acting on the sale will consult it.


It can be drafted very quickly and should cost around £100-150+vat


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tom i wont need to pay any more tho as for the question that means i can