How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, I am an attorney in South Africa. A client of mine

This answer was rated:

Hi there, I am an attorney in South Africa. A client of mine needs to get letters of probate for his gran's estate, however we are unsure how to go about it. Please advise?

Good Evening,


Thanks for your question.


If there is a significant estate value and there are properties to be transferred then an application will have to be for a grant of probate, forms submitted to Her Majesty's Customs & Revenue to account on the value of the estate and to settle any inheritance tax due on the estate. The assets will have to be collected in by the executors of the estate and distributed to the beneficiaries of the Will, or distributed in accordance with the intestacy rules if there is no Will.


There's a fair bit of administrative legwork to go through and I assume that your client (or the Executor of the estate) is likely to instruct a firm to act in the administration of the estate itself.


Her Majesty's Courts Service is obviously a very good first port of call and it has lots of information for lay person's so you can hit the ground running with a solicitor that you choose to instruct:-


The forms you should complete depend on whether there is an inheritance tax liability, but again you get a handle on the basics here:-


You can find solicitors in the area where the bulk of the estate is by using the following Law Society website, entering a postcode/town and selecting "wills & probate" from the area of law option:-


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you