How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner and i will return to the UK next year. He is a British

Customer Question

My partner and i will return to the UK next year. He is a British citizen and I am American. There is a large age difference between us but we have been living together for over four years and are in a Civil Partnership registered in California. Will my age prevent me from obtaining a visa? I am 79 and my British partner is 31 at present.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Provided you otherwise fulfill the eligibility criteria for obtaining a visa as a civil partner then your age will be highly unlikely to be a barrier, the UKBA would be very unwise in my view to object on this ground because you would be able to argue Article 8 Human RIghts Act (right to a family and private life) on appeal with a good chance of success.

The eligibility criteria is as follows:-


You must show that:

  • you are legally married to each other or are in a civil partnership recognised in the UK
  • your husband, wife or civil partner is present and settled in the UK (see the next section)
  • you both intend to live together permanently as husband and wife or as civil partners
  • you have met each other before
  • you can support yourselves and any dependants without any help from public funds
  • you have suitable accommodation, which is owned or lived in only by you and your household, and where you and your dependants can live without any help from public funds
  • your husband, wife or civil partner is not under 21, and
  • you are not under 21 at the date of arrival in the UK .

You will have to apply to the British Embassy nearest to you for a visa by using form VAF4A which is available for download from the UKBA's visa website.


It would be best for a UK immigration solicitor to prepare it in consultation with you both to ensure the best chance of success on first appraisal.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards.,



Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are you an immigration lawyer and how much wouuld you charge to handle such a visa application?
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for your kind accept.


I am an immigration lawyer, but private contact between customers and experts is prohibited by JustAnswer.


You should be charged around £750-1,000.00 + Vat for a solicitor to prepare the application.


Good luck.