How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where can I obtain the final estate balance for my father who

Resolved Question:

Where can I obtain the final estate balance for my father who died in 1998?
I ask as I can not find it in my mothers papers and she has since passed away.
Submitted: 7 years ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Who were the executors of your father's estate and if they were not solicitors then did the executors assist in administering the estate?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The original executors were a solicitors firm.

Approx 18mths ago the SRA removed al docs and they went to an intervention firm of solicitors. Consequently the original solicitors were closed down.

It has taken me a long time to have all docs that were retained sent to me.

I have searched through all these and can not find a final estate balance for my late father.

Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Okay,that's very unfortunate.


Who were the beneficiaries and are you still in touch with them?


Kind regards.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My fathers share of half the house passed to myself and my brother.

The other small bequests were to a cousin , and two godsons.

I have seen from my cousin and the two godsons letters that they returned to the solicitor with them acknoledging the bequest they were left.

I have contact with the cousin and obviously my brother. The other two named I am not in regular contact with but they are contactable. This may not be necessary if I have the signed letters as mentioned before?

I can not find letters for my brother or myself even though we did receive the money.

My brother - a payout and myself retained in the property.

Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Once the grant of probate had been obtained the solicitors had collected in all of your father assets in readiness for distributing his estate the estate accounts would have been prepared and sent to the main beneficiaries to be signed off.

That the solicitors have not retained the accounts with their papers is highly unfortunate and very unusual, though perhaps less surprising given that they were intervened by the SRA.


You should get in contact with your brother and ask to search through his papers, both you and he would (or should) have been sent the accounts towards the end of the administration. If your brother does not have them then you can try the other beneficiaries.


Getting hold of the final accounts if they are not with the papers held by the solicitors or with the other beneficiaries is problematic.


You could contact HMRC and make a request submitting evidence of your status as beneficiary and confirming your unsuccessful efforts to obtain them thus far. Forms confirming the size of the estate for IHT purposes would have been submitted along with fairly detailed schedules on the types and value of the assets in your father's estate would have had to have been submitted to them and they may still have copies of them


These are not the same as the final estate accounts obviously but in the circumstances it may be the next best thing. The size of the assets actually collected in may have changed after the initially submitting the forms and if so there should be a evidence of an adjustment of the assessment of the estate providing further details of the amended values.


Sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I maybe rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you ill be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you