Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My son wants to get a one year work visa to Australia and spend

My son wants to get a one year work visa to Australia and spend time with his Father; his Father is now married to an Australian citizen and living in Brisbane - what are the requirements and does he have to have a certain amount of money in his account even though he is visiting family?

Hi.

How old is your son please?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom

He is 25

Esther

Hello Esther,

I should say that I am a UK qualified solicitor, not a Australian lawyer and there are no Australian solicitors. However I think I can point you in the right direction.

I believe that he will have to apply for a Working Holiday Visa which will permit him to travel to Australia and work for a period of 12 months. He would have to apply for this to the Australian High Commission in London or make the application online.

He can do any work in Australia but must not stay with any one employer for more than 6 months.

He must have health insurance, may have to undergo a medical examination to confirm he is in good health, provide a police certificate confirming no convictions and have funds in place to cover his stay (generally $5000.00 Australian dollars is sufficient (about £3034.42 on today's exchange rate)).

He can contact the Australian High Commission in London for further details:-

Contact Information

Australian High Commission
Strand
London WC2B 4LA
(corner of the Aldwych and the Strand. Nearest Tube station: Temple)

Tel:(NNN) NNN-NNNN4334; Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN5333

You can obtain visitor's visas based on family there but not initially for the length of his intended stay and he would not be able to work.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Tom!

Esther

Esther,

You're very welcome and thank you for your very kind accept.

Tom