How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son wants to get a one year work visa to Australia and spend

This answer was rated:

My son wants to get a one year work visa to Australia and spend time with his Father; his Father is now married to an Australian citizen and living in Brisbane - what are the requirements and does he have to have a certain amount of money in his account even though he is visiting family?



How old is your son please?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom


He is 25



Hello Esther,

I should say that I am a UK qualified solicitor, not a Australian lawyer and there are no Australian solicitors. However I think I can point you in the right direction.


I believe that he will have to apply for a Working Holiday Visa which will permit him to travel to Australia and work for a period of 12 months. He would have to apply for this to the Australian High Commission in London or make the application online.


He can do any work in Australia but must not stay with any one employer for more than 6 months.


He must have health insurance, may have to undergo a medical examination to confirm he is in good health, provide a police certificate confirming no convictions and have funds in place to cover his stay (generally $5000.00 Australian dollars is sufficient (about £3034.42 on today's exchange rate)).


He can contact the Australian High Commission in London for further details:-

Contact Information

Australian High Commission
London WC2B 4LA
(corner of the Aldwych and the Strand. Nearest Tube station: Temple)

Tel:(NNN) NNN-NNNN4334; Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN5333


You can obtain visitor's visas based on family there but not initially for the length of his intended stay and he would not be able to work.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Tom!





You're very welcome and thank you for your very kind accept.