How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a british citizen, my dad is a widower and now retired.

Resolved Question:

I am a british citizen, my dad is a widower and now retired. He lives with my sister in Pakistan, and is not economically dependent on me or my sister. I want to sponsor him for for settlement/indefinite leave to remain in the UK. My questions are
1/ is this possible?

2/what are the paperwork required?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question. It's not good news unfortunately.


He would have to apply for a dependent's visa to remain here permanently. The follow is part of the eligibility criteria for such a visa:-


  • He is completely or mainly financially dependent on his children or grandchildren
  • He has no close relatives in his own Country to help him

Being economically dependent can mean, for example, that he has £200 to live on each month and you contribute £50.00 per month to reach that income. If he is financially independent then the application will be refused on this ground.


Similarly, if your sister is in Pakistan and available to help him then it would also be refused on this ground.


On the above two issues it would be unwise to submit an application for a dependent's visa.


I'm afraid you will have to put up with him periodically applying for a 6 months visitor's visa to come and see you.


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you