How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i want to marry my lebanese boyfriend what is the best way

Resolved Question:

i want to marry my lebanese boyfriend what is the best way to do this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



What is your nationality and visa status in the UK?


What is the nationality and visa status of your boyfriend in the UK?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im a uk citizen no visa requirements, my boyfriend is a lebanese citizen and has never been to the uk
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

And do you propose marrying in the UK or in Lebanon?


If you wish to marry here, it will mean two applications to the UKBA but the advantage is you will know if he is eligible for a fiance/spouses visa before you are married.

If you marry in Lebanon you will only have to make one application but you will be married be before you make the application and therefore a bit stuck if it is not successful.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we wish to marry here in the uk but its the requirements that we dont understand
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Firstly you would have to apply for fiance visa so that he is permitted here for a 6 month period in which you can marry. You will have to show that:-

  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (eg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. fiance visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your fiance before submitting it to the British Embassy in Lebanon.


He will then have to apply for a spouses visa once you are married.


If he makes the application after the end of November then he will have to pass an English language test showing that he has (very) basic listening and spoken English skills.


You can find an immigration solicitor to help you by using this Law Society search engine:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you