How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my partner hasnt been paid for 7 weeks and we cant pay our

This answer was rated:

my partner hasnt been paid for 7 weeks and we cant pay our rent this month we have 3 small children and cant afford our weekly shopping or anything



Why hasn't your husband been paid? Is he employed?


Do you occupy your property under a tenancy agreement? if so please state then length of the fixed term or if the fixed term has expired.


Please also state if you are currently in arrears with your rent and by how many months/weeks


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he is employed but the company is in difficulty and doesnt have the money to pay him or the rest of staff, our tenancy is ongoing and we have no arrers, moving is no option as our rent is cheaper than most

Right. Is your tenancy for a fixed term? Or was it initially for a fixed term but has simply "rolled over"?


Please state how many months in arrears you are?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we have recently been given 10 year tenancy and we dont have arrears

Ok. What has your husband (and fellow employees)done about not being paid?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
given the bosses 28 days to pay like previously advised, to which they have been told to put up or leave and said they cant afford to pay them

Has he lodged a grievance with his solicitor about the pay issue?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no because we cant afford to pay for a solictor unless he gets paid



Thanks for your reply.


If you are in the fixed term of a tenancy agreement then the landlord cannot evict on on the ground of rent arrears until you are two months in arrears. So you have some breathing time there. but if you are to fall in to arrears then you should inform your landlord and explain your position to him. Appeal to his sympathy, it is better to engage landlord over these issues - they appreciate it.


Your husband does not need a solicitor to lodge a grievance with his employers. He just needs to set out his grievance (ie. giving factual details of his position) and explain that he wishes to initiate the statutory grievance procedure available to him and looks forward to a grievance hearing being arranged.. He should state that if following the grievance hearing he is still unpaid within a set time then he shall consider himself constructively dismissed and shall take legal advice and initiate a claim.


Info of grievances here:-


Before giving them notice that he formally considers himself constructively dismissed he should take advice from a no-win no-fee employment solicitor in his area, he can find them by using this search engine:-


Phone round and ask if they act on a no-win no-fee basis and ask for an initial consultation.


The difficulty is that if the company goes into liquidation then you husband will be in the queue with everyone else.


He needs to raise a grievance immediately, take advice from an employment solicitor, then possibly consider himself constructively dismissed and pursue a claim on that basis. Once constructively dismissed he will be able to seek new employment.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much for your time and help
You're welcome.
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you