How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am getting married to a girl from india. what do i need to

This answer was rated:

I am getting married to a girl from india. what do i need to do to get her to uk. i am a uk resident and fully divorced and working full time and own a property of my own. her first language is gujarati. she is not fluent in english. i need to know what documents i need to take with me. i intend to travel next month, marry her in court then what do i need to do to get her to travel back with me.



She will have to apply for a spouses visa once you are married.


You will have to show:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. That you are present and settled in the UK (property records - tenancy agreements, Land registry office copies, other records of your life here, council tax bills etc.
  • 3. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
  • 5. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements about your relationship from you both and any others, correspondence)
  • 6. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • 7. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 8. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.


I'm afraid that she will have to pass an English language test, she should contact the nearest embassy to find out about local test providers. The test comprises of very basic everyday phrases, spoken and listening english.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the uk law for english test does not come into force untill 29th november 2010. if i go to india before that say in october 2010, will my wife need to still take english test?. also she is 24tears of age and i am 50. does this matter?



Thanks for your kind accept.


Though the UKBA website seems to suggest that is is now required, I believe that if you submit your application before the date then it will not be required.

The age difference does not matter particularly.