How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently misplaced my house deeds. Can you advise to

Resolved Question:

I have recently misplaced my house deeds. Can you advise to the correct procedure to acquire a replacement document of ownership. The property is paid for.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Do you know if your property is registered at the Land Registry or not?


When did you purchase the property?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.



I believe the property to be registered with the Land REgistry.


The property was purcahsed around 1972.


The property was morgaged with the Woolwich and was completed some years ago.


Trevor Town


Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your reply.


If the property is registered then the Official Copies of Land Registry title are now in effect your "deeds". The system of registration has replaced the old deeds (eg. hard copies of conveyances and assets etc) so it is no longer necessary to have these because they would have been kept by the LR and dematerialized upon first registration. They would have taken note of the relevant entries on the conveyances on the registered title and destroyed the hard copies.


You can check by paying searching on the following address and paying £4.00 to pay for a copy of the register:-


If the property is registered then you need not worry.


If the property is not registered I can advise on the procedure you will need to complete.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,





Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you