How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello! I have vacated the property on the 31st of August and

This answer was rated:

Hello! I have vacated the property on the 31st of August and delivered the keys after the final inspection has been arranged by the landlord and the agent on the 2nd September. Nevertheless, the agency still automatically charged my acount, which has been set for the direct debit, for a full amount of the September rent! i tried to contact them, but they don't respond to my call or my e-mail. What should I do to get my money back?



Thanks for your question.


If you cannot attend there offices then you have to write to them again. Email them and copy in as many of your contacts there as possible. Make the email as "High Importance" and subject "Letter before Intended Legal Proceedings". Outline the situation and ask to be refunded in full within 7 days of the date of the letter. State that if you do not then you will issue a claim for the monies at Court via as well as making a concurrent complaint the Association of Residential Lettings Agents (if they are a member) and Trading Standards.


State that you will also claim costs (you may be able to claim some) and interest on the sum owed. Refer to costs as including legal fees, but I wouldn't instruct a solicitor to for this because on the facts it is a clear breach and you can easily prepare the application yourself. If they do not pay the money back then you will be forced to issue via the above site, it's very easy and straightforward to use but my guess is that they will pay the money back without the need to issue.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 4 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you