How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

parents would like to pass ownership of house to there son.

This answer was rated:

parents would like to pass ownership of house to there son. they own house with no mortagage. son has lived with them all life . how do they go about it .



Do the parents still live at the property and is the transfer proposed to be made for inheritance tax purposes, or for some other reason?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
parents still live at property , but farther is ill and mother wants to transfer house to son who is willing to take over bills. son is going to inherit house in will.

Are both parents the registered owners of the property at the land registry and do they both intend to transfer their interests in the property to the son?


If both do transfer their interests in the property to the son then they will no longer be able to leave it to anyone in their will(s) because they would no longer own the property.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They are both registered owners of the property at the land registry. they do intend to transfer intrest in property to son .

To transfer the property to their son they would need to download TR1 transfer (if they intend to transfer the whole of the registered title to their son), complete it and execute it together with their son.


They would then have to submit it to the Land Registry office dealing with the legal title to the property with Form AP1 to alter the register to reflect the change in ownership.


Both forms are available for download:-


There are also some practice guides to help with the completion of the forms and the customer services number at the LR is very useful/helpful.

If the parents were to continue living there then it would be taxed as part of their estate upon their death. It would also complicate matters if either of the parents went in to care and monies were owed to the local authority.


Were they to make the transfer to their son then it would become his assets and he would be entitled to refuse their residence at the property if he were so minded.


If the property is the main asset of the parents estate then they should consider taking specific face-to-face advice before making the transfer.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you