How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the UK, if I sent my passport for student visa extention

Resolved Question:

I'm an Algerian Nationality In the UK, if I sent my passport for student visa extention to the home office, and the mail didn't send it until after the visa expired and i finished my studies, how can i have a legal status again in the UK without having to face any bans? I dont have the right quantity of money in my bank account to apply for work permit nor to apply for another course at uni and I want to have a legal status and I want to do everything the legal way, and is it ok if someone tells me i will give u a certificate that will grant u as an investor therefore u will get residence or are they a fraud? cant I take the mail receipt and reapply at the home office without having to have the correct amount of money in the bank account or is it a dead end and i have to go back? and if i go back and have a a 1 year ban , will be able to apply for a visa again and travel to UK and im still in the 28 day duration before having to leave, and can the home offfice give me 2 months visa just because of what the mail did? because its not my fault, What shall i do? get backk to me please
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



What is your current immigration status, when did it expire and when did you apply for your student visa extension?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it expired 4th of august, and i received the passport yesterday on the 19th august, and the card i will receive within 7 working days, and i cant apply for student visa again as i finished my studies
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
and forgot to tell u yea, it was sent to the post office on the 21 of june and they havent forward it to me until 19 august
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


To qualify for the investor visa you must have 75 points under the points based system and plan to invest £1,000,000.00 in a UK business, or have up to £2, 000,000.00 deposited in a UK account. If you do not have the funds available to apply for a workers visa then I assume you do not have the funds available to qualify for this form of visa.


The UK BA advise that all applications to be sent by registered mail, because proof of posting is not proof of delivery and the onus is in the applicant to show proof of delivery I'm afraid. If you send it just by first class post then the UKBA will doubtless say that it is your responsibility that the application visa was late.


If you overstay more than 28 days following the expiry of your visa then you would receive a one year ban and this could prejudice any future application you would choose to make.


I'm very sorry but your only option is to return home within the 28 days and to make a further application from there for another form of visa.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about job sponsorships, if i get sponsored, can i extend my visa or not possible?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OOOH and other than sponsorship, what about student, what if i apply to a course, do i need to have certain amount of money in my account, or should i just go back to my country and apply from there to any visa, please answer to me about sponsorship and student in details please and about applying from my country within the 28 days
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry and another inquiry i keep forgetting, if i decide to travel, the last day i can travel in is the 1st of september, my visa expired 4th of august
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Yes, you would need money in your account if you were to apply for a student visa for a new course. Please find attached link to the page which shows the money you require; it depends on the length of the course and the course fee:-


To be eligible to apply for a visa as a sponsored skilled worker you would have to receive a job offer from an employer who is licensed with the UKBA to be a sponser and an offer of sponsorship, as well as having the requisite points under the points based system for the the category you are applying for. Here is the link so that you can check each category:-


The period of overstay would count against you in any of the applications you make right now. The longer you stay, the more it would count against you.


If I were you I would return home, regroup and prepare to make another application from there. Before leaving you should collate evidence to explain why it was necessary to overstay. It would also help to show that you did something abouit your overstay as soon as you were able.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you