How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My letting agent has recently taken our tennant to the county

Resolved Question:

My letting agent has recently taken our tennant to the county court for eviction on the rule 21 procedure, the county court granted the property to be given back to us and the tennant has 14 days to vacate, this time is now up the tennant is not living at the property it is completely empty but says they shall move back into the property before the deadline and we shall have to employ the court bailliffs to issue a warrant of posession order on them i know this to be true but our agent seems to think that if it goes back to court the tennant may be granted another few months to stay can this happen ? he has told the agent that he will only hand over the keys if we allow him to keep his deposit even though he has trashed the property and things are missing i feel like i have been held to ransome or blackmailed or the like .We need our property back a.s.a.p but not sure what to do hope you can advise thankyou in advance.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



On what basis does the agent believe that the tenant could be given more time in the property?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its just something he said that the tennant could probably do if he stuck his heals in so to speak, could you please tell me how long it could take for a bailiff to come out after requesting one?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



It's extremely unlikely if an order for possession was made by the Court without it being suspended (ie. to give the tenant time to clear the arrears).


In any event if the tenant does not vacate then apply for a warrant for execution by the Court bailliffs is your only option and you should avail yourself of it.


If the tenants disputes the deposit return then you will have to initiate the dispute resolution process provided by the tenancy deposit scheme provider who is holding the deposit. You can refer the tenant to this.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you