How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Peruvian friend who has been accepted by a College

This answer was rated:

I have a Peruvian friend who has been accepted by a College in the UK to study English Language at advanced level for 1 year. She has all the relevant funds for maintainence and course fees. Problem is she wishes to stay with me, and is worried (as I am a single male) that the immigration officer may not like this, as they may suspect there is a romantic connection between us and therefore might be a reason for her not leaving when she is upposed to. There is no romantic connection, we are just friends. Can you advise whether her staying with me would be a problem in terms of immigration policy?



Has she actually made an application yet?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Tom

Not yet - she is about to make a visa application under Tier 4 (Student) - she will start to complete relevant forms online next week. The form does not require a UK address/ accommodation details to be given, however I am sure this will be a question asked by the immigration officer. Also the Tier 4 visa application form does have a section at the end to include 'any other evidence/documentation you think necessary to support your application'.



Thanks for your questions.


The immigration officers would be unwise to find against the application on this basis as they have no proof. It is at their complete discretion however so it's conceivable, though not probably, that they could object.


If they did you would have to appeal and submit evidence (ie sworn statements, other corroboratinig evidence) supporting your claim that you are not romantic partners. This would probably suceed given that presumably the UKBA would not be able to produce evidence to the contrary.


I would not even tackle the point by pre-emption, if you do this might raise their suspicions that you are protesting too much.


Make the application, see if they reject on this basis. If they do appeal the decision.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you