UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

l married a thai women in thailand but we now live in uk she

Customer Question
has 3 year spouse visa...
l married a thai women in thailand but we now live in uk she has 3 year spouse visa how can l devorce quickly
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: UK Law
8/10/2010
Solicitor: Thomas, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
Thomas :

Thomas :

How do you propose to petition your wife for divorce?

Customer:

dont know yet just want to know what rights she has here

Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

There was no need to accept at that early stage in the chat - I had not answered your question yet!

If you divorce then her visa will be curtailed and she will be asked to leave the country. At the point of curtailment she will no longer have a legal leave to remain here.

If you have consummated the marriage and have not been married for a year then you must wait until you have been married for one year before petitioning for divorce - this is a legal requirement.

If have not been separated for two years then you cannot petition on the basis of separation. This means you would have to petition on the grounds of either adultery or unreasonable behaviour.

You can still be "separated" but still living under the same roof if your shared domestic life is at an end.There is lots of useful information about divorce available for lay persons considering divorcing on Her Majesty's Courts Service website:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/divorce/index.htm

You should consider instructing a divorce lawyer anyway, but particularly if the marriage is for a short length and you have significantly more assets than her because you will want to negotiate a favourable financial settlement for yourself. You can find local divorce lawyers here and ask for a free initial half hour meeting about your position:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

I am happy to answer follow up questions.

Tom

Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer