How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am british i meet a tourist from africa and fell in love

Resolved Question:

i am british i meet a tourist from africa and fell in love want to marry this lady don't want to loose her how do i go about it'
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Where is your fiance, if she is in the UK please state her immigration status?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my fiance is on visit to london she has no resident permit she arrived on visitor's visa
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Right, She should go back home before the expiry of her visitor's visa, otherwise an overstay might affect a future application.


You can either go with her and marry there so that she can then apply for a spouses visa, or she can go back and apply for a fiance visa so that you can get married here. If you go a fiance visa you would still have to make an application for a spouses visa once you are married so you may choose to save yourself making two applications by marrying there.


If you get married in her country then apply for spouses visa you will have to show that:-


  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3. You are not in breach of the immigration rules (your visa)
  • 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
  • 5. Your wife is present and settled in the UK (erg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 7. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 8. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)


You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4A Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.


She will aso have to pass an english language test to show basic spoken english, every day phrases etc. She should contact the embassy in her country for approved test providers



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you