How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a landlord and I forgot to put my 3 tenants deposits into

Customer Question

I am a landlord and I forgot to put my 3 tenants deposits into a scheme. They are now trying to sue me for 3 times the original deposit as they are unhappy that I have deducted costs for cleaning and damages. I have been a very fair landlord over the past 12 months and have bent over backwards to accommodate them. I am very upset by this even though I know I'm in the wrong for not doing things properly.
What can I do now?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



I'm afraid that you're in a very difficult position. The Courts are very strict about this and if they apply for the monies then they will probably get judgement in their favour years of mismanagement of tenant deposits, is stems from years of deposit mismanagement by landlords.


If they still occupy the property then you can place it in a scheme now, but I'm afraid this is still unlikely to receive much sympathy from the Court. It's not an adequate defence to plead ignorance, I'm sorry to say.


I think you are looking at attempting to reach a settlement with them for their confirmation that they will not make the application at Court. There is a bit of an administrative burden in making a claim (for both them & you defending it) so they might be willing to listen to you. At the very least you should offer to repay the whole of their deposits to them immediately and perhaps some more besides depending on how likely they are to issue a claim.


Information for future reference on tenancy deposit schemes here:-


Information on tenancy responsibilities of a landlord here for future reference:-


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time, it will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for that Tom


I had heard that I could still place the money in the deposit scheme even though they had vacated, but reading your reply, this doesn't seem to be the case.


I have used the deposit protection scheme before, so I am aware of the procedure. But in this case I failed to do it.


You mentioned I should offer to repay the deposits to I do this by contacting them direct? or through the paperwork sent with the County Court claim?




Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hi Jill,


Putting the deposit in a TDS whilst the tenants are still in the property and occupying during the term of the tenancy has partially worked in the past, but it is still no guarantee and particulaly so here given that the facts of your case a quite different.


You would negotiate with them privately, not through the Court, and I would do this now before they issue. There is nothing to stop you from reaching a settlement with them once they have issued, but you will have to make sure they withdraw the claim as part of your settlement (if they accept).


Good luck.