How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have petitioned my wife for divorce, although know she recieved

Resolved Question:

i have petitioned my wife for divorce, although know she recieved the petition she has not responded. we have not seen each other for 8 years and have no children or shared property. can i swear an affidavit to this affect and present it to the court so i can get my divorce?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


No, you cannot do that. You have got to complete two copies of Form 89 (available for download from HMCS's website), complete them and return them to the Court with a photograph or description of her and the Court's fee (you will have to ask them how much - it won't be a lot). You only do this after 8 days since the petition was sent.


The Court bailiff will then effect service and swear an affadavit so your divorce can then proceed.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you