How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I stay in England. I have recently split up with my

This answer was rated:

Hello. I stay in England. I have recently split up with my boyfriend - we lived together and now I have had to move out - he owes me £2350 which I do have in writing but he's not paid me a penny back. The ageement was it was to be like a deposit but he said he had no money when I moved out although he did buy a £500 leather sofa for his summerhouse 2 weeks before i moved out. I've said I will take legal action to which he said if I try to take him to court he will make sure I don't get a penny back and he will talk his way out of it. I need that money back and don't know what to do. Thanks. Leigh

Hi Leigh,


If you do not think you writing a formal letter to him will register with him then I would go and see a local litigation solicitor to get them to write a letter before action to him. This would give the background, ask for the money (or a repayment plan proposal) from him within 7 days of the date of the letter. Sometimes a letter from a solicitor's firm does the trick and he will engage with you without the stress of litigating. It should cost £40 approx.


If he does not then you can either instruct the solicitor to prepare and issue the claim or do it yourself through it's pretty cheap and very easy to use - it's pretty much made for your type of claim.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards




Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Tom


Nothing I do will work because he tries to manipulate me.


I don't want to take legal action but no approach I take seems to work so a warning letter mght be the way to go.


My problem is that he said to me 'bring it on bitch - take me to court and i'll make sure you don't see a penny' :-(


He tries to talk his way out of everything and I know he will try every trick in the book to get out of it. That's what I'm scared of, how it will go if we do go to court and I get nothing back because he's charmed his way out of it. He nearly lost his driving licence last year for speeding at 129 mph but talked his way out of it (the judge was female and he turned on the charm) - he really thinks he is above the law and can get away with anything.


Can he?





He doesn't sound very pleasant.


If he does not respond to the letter then you will have no option but to issue if you want your money back. If you have it in writing from him that they money was to be paid back the it's difficult to see how he could talk his way around this - you have a strong case and I wouldn't be scared off.


If you do not get judgement then you will be liable for his legal fees in defending the claim so before issuing I would take what evidence you have that they money would be paid back to the solicitor writing your letter and ask them for their specific opinion on how persuasive it will be to Court. Anything in writing is a very good start though.


I hope this clarifies, f so please kindly click accept.




Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.



I have letters, txts agreeing. I'll put as much stuff together as I can.


Thanks Tom





You're welcome.


Good luck, thank you for your kind accept/bonus and do not let him intimidate you.